Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Women in Journalism

It was very refreshing to hear Dr. Everbach talk about the realities of the newsroom for women. After going through this program and participating in internships, I have to say that it is very disappointing to have been in newsrooms where there was only one person of color or none at all. I really feel that journalism programs need to arm students with this knowledge and form relationships with the industry to give more women and minorities a chance in the media.

I have to say that I am one of those people that will not be using my journalism degree to work in the industry. I have seen first hand the blatant resistance of the industry to recognize me as a woman of color. No one wants to hear the stories that are important to me, so I have decided to change my career path with the hopes that I can free lance to get my perspective heard.

There has to be a better way to get more people of color in positions of power in the media; if anyone knows how, please let me know.

No comments: