Sunday, February 10, 2008

Second Life

I really enjoyed using Second Life this week. I only got frustrated when I got stuck underwater, but after while of pulling my hair out, I finally figured how to get out. Once I figured out how to click on the world map to find EduIsland, it was easy to transport and find the class. I like the virtual environment very much. I would like to use Second Life for an activity for an online course that I want to develop for my dissertation. The topic of the course I am going to design is multicultural literacy instruction training and cultural identity development for teachers that work with minority students. It would be very interesting to see how students would design their avatars to represent themselves. This could be very valuable in cultural identity discussions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This semester I really gain a lot of experiences using some distributed learning systems, Second Life is one of them. I would like to see you how you can deal with activities that you can use Second life to deliver your course. Also it is going to be very interesting topic when you see how users interact with your course with deferent shapes (Avatar). I think you can see how users are social with learning environment when they discuss cultural identity.

Michael Stout said...

Dear Christie,
Thanks for all the comments on my blog. My name is Michael, by the way, not Larry.
I'm interested in Second Life. I don't think I'll be able to use it in my classes but I'd still like to learn more about it. Perhaps you could help.
Cheers!